One of the biggest concerns with installing gas furnaces is ensuring that the gas connections are not a fire hazard. Two common causes of potential fires are lightning strikes (common within the HVAC footprint in Maryland and Pennsylvania) and power surges.
HVAC Distributors stocks Flashshield™ because it offers the highest level of protection against both indirect lightning strikes and electrical system fault current arcs up to 600V. This means that when you use Flashshield, as a certified Gastite installer, you can be confident that you’re providing the highest level of safety for your customers.
How does it work?
- Flashshield’s black jacket is made of 2 electrically insulative layers that protect the pipe from arcing damage that can cause perforations and gas leaking in first generation CSST piping. It has been tested to withstand both indirect lightning strikes and electrical shocks of over 600V.
- Flashshield’s Jacket-Lock™ eliminates exposed stainless steel beyond the nut and creates a reliable metal-to-metal seal to minimize leaks.
- It saves time. It installs in about 1/3 the time of rigid pipe.
- It reduces job cost. It reduces gas fittings required by about 75%.
- It is the safest product you can provide your homeowners. It’s listed to ANSI LC1 and ICC-ES PMG LC 1027 standards, and its multi-layer insulation protects from corrosive elements that may also weaken pipes and cause fire hazards.
Flashshield is available at all HVAC branches and through Web Order Entry. As with most gas piping, it requires certification to purchase. If you need the certification, Gastite has an on-demand online certification course that you can take to be certified within 60 minutes. The certification is also an excellent refresher on general gas piping basics.